BNSSG Adult Joint Formulary
16. Palliative Care Guidelines
|First line drugs||Second line drugs||Specialist drugs||Secondary care drugs|
|Recommended in both primary and secondary care||Alternatives (often in specific conditions) in both primary and secondary care||Where a specialist input is needed (see introduction for definition)||Prescribing principally within secondary care only|
- There is information at the beginning of the BNF on prescribing in palliative care and Avon Somerset & Wiltshire Cancer Services (ASWCS) Palliative Care Network Handbook for advice on clinical management.
- Several recommendations in this chapter involve the use of medications outside of their product license i.e. ‘off-label'. This increases the prescriber's responsibility. Please contact Pharmacy for further information.
- Information about the availability of medications at Community Pharamcies within the BNSSSG area is available here
- Community palliative care anticipatory prescribing drug chart here
16.1 Pain due to cancer in adults
16.2 Gastrointestinal symptoms
16.3 Respiratory symptoms
16.4 Anxiety, depression and confusion
16.6 End of life symptom control