BNSSG Adult Joint Formulary
16. Palliative Care Guidelines
|First line drugs||Second line drugs||Specialist drugs||Secondary care drugs|
|Recommended in both primary and secondary care||Alternatives (often in specific conditions) in both primary and secondary care||Where a specialist input is needed (see introduction for definition)||Prescribing principally within secondary care only|
- There is information at the beginning of the BNF on prescribing in palliative care and Avon Somerset & Wiltshire Cancer Services (ASWCS) Palliative Care Network Handbook for advice on clinical management.
- Several recommendations in this chapter involve the use of medications outside of their product license i.e. ‘off-label'. This increases the prescriber's responsibility. Please contact Pharmacy for further information.
- Information about the availability of medications at Community Pharmacies within the BNSSG area is available here
- Community palliative care anticipatory prescribing drug chart here