BNSSG Adult Joint Formulary
COVID-19 End of Life Care
Checked: not set yet by Next Review: not set yet
End of Life Care and COVID-19
This guidance contains a range of resources for anticipatory prescribing to facilitate good symptom control at the end of life. It takes into account the extraordinary circumstances of the COVID pandemic by suggesting non-injectable options for certain groups of patients. Prescribers need to be aware that there may be shortages of our usual injectable medications and a flexible approach may be needed. Consider anticipatory prescribing for any patient in their last weeks of life.
- A decision aid flow diagram is available here.
- Community Anticipatory Prescribing Guidance for use during the COVID-19 Pandemic – Just in case packs ( A: Non injection pack and B:Injection Pack) is available here.
- Usual community prescribing guidance C: Community Palliative Care Prescribing Table: Injectable & Syringe Pump Medication for Symptom Control
- Community Anticipatory Prescribing Guidance for complex patients during the COVID-19 pandemic (D: Tailored non injections) is available here
National Guidance on symptom control (including EOLC) during COVID-19:
- RCGP: Community Palliative, End of Life and Bereavement Care in the COVID-19 pandemic
- NICE: COVID-19 rapid guideline: managing symptoms (including at the end of life) in the community
- Association of Palliative Care: COVID-19 and Palliative, End of Life and Bereavement Care in Secondary Care
For information about the NHSE Community Pharmacy specialist Medicines LES, click here
Please see St Peter’s hospice website for more information and details regarding advice line click here