BNSSG Adult Joint Formulary
16. Palliative Care Guidelines
|First line drugs||Second line drugs||Specialist drugs||Secondary care drugs|
|Recommended in both primary and secondary care||Alternatives (often in specific conditions) in both primary and secondary care||Where a specialist input is needed (see introduction for definition)||Prescribing principally within secondary care only|
- There is information at the beginning of the BNF on prescribing in palliative care and Avon Somerset & Wiltshire Cancer Services (ASWCS) Palliative Care Network Handbook for advice on clinical management.
- Several recommendations in this chapter involve the use of medications outside of their product license i.e. ‘off-label'. This increases the prescriber's responsibility. Please contact Pharmacy for further information.
- 16.1 Pain due to cancer in adults
- 16.2 Gastrointestinal symptoms
- 16.3 Respiratory symptoms
- 16.4 Anxiety, depression and confusion
- 16.5 Mouthcare
- 16.6 End of life symptom control