Dementia referral & support during COVID-19
Please see below the current Covid-19 response from Bristol, South Gloucester and North Somerset dementia service providers.
The Alzheimer’s Society across BNSSG, have adapted their face to face services to phone, and (developing) virtual support. Calls to their national dementia connect helpline have increased by 40% nationally as people reach out for more support during this time.
Specifically this is a list of what we they doing for carers & people with dementia in the community:
- Welfare calls either weekly fortnightly or monthly to every service user on our caseload, including those that attended groups and have our befriending service by the dementia support worker or dementia adviser
- Companion calls by our Volunteers (this is on top on the welfare calls) – this is a new service that we have developed using our exiting volunteers that did support us at groups and new volunteers
- Sending out work books weekly to people who attend our activity groups
- Setting up Virtual singing for the brain groups weekly, we are looking to also do our carers information and support course as well as memory cafes and activity groups virtually
- Emailing Carers information on how to source online activities
- Researching what is available locally that we can sign post to for practical support such as shopping etc
Please continue to refer into our service as we can do assessments over the phone, and continue to support people, or contact us individually for support in each of the areas.
Bristol – Sharon Cooper 07540920973
North Somerset – Sally Cavill 07771633068
South Gloucestershire – Lynn Cross – 07484054050 (Current services)
People normally have to have had a diagnosis (or be a carer or loved one of somebody) to receive our dementia support service but we are currently able to provide this to any one concerned about memory loss.
Carers, family members or those living with Dementia who need personalised dementia support and advice, can also call the Alzheimer's Society direct. Dementia Connect support line: 0333 150 3456 (calls charged at local standard rate)
Bristol Dementia Wellbeing Service
Bristol DWS is now open to routine referrals. These will be triaged and responded to appropriately either by telephone or face to face as necessary.
For Diagnostic Support for GPs please call : 0117 904 5151
North Somerset Memory Service
NS MS in now fully open to routine referrals.
For Diagnostic Support for GPs please call : 01275 335 300
We are routinely providing medication reviews , dementia wellbeing reviews & occupational therapy advice.
South Glos Memory Service
SG MS is fully open to routine referrals .
For Diagnostic Support for GPs please call:0117 378 4670
Post diagnostic support will be a telephone call to the referred service user & the provision of written information. All groups are still suspended until restrictions no longer necessary.
NBT Cognitive Disorders Clinic
We have a nurse led helpline for all patients currently under the cognitive disorders clinic (we are contacting all our patients to let them know).
Neurology now offers an advice and guidance line to all GPs, we should be able to help with questions regarding neurological complications of dementia – Epilepsy/Movement disorders. We also give advice on rapid onset, young onset cognitive disorders through this line.
Delirium and COVID-19
Managing Delirium in confirmed and suspected cases: https://www.bgs.org.uk/resources/coronavirus-managing-delirium-in-confirmed-and-suspected-cases
Atypical COVID 19 presentations in Older People
Please see the attached information on Atypical COVID 19 presentations in Older People produced by Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust